Caramelized Onion & Brussel Sprout Flat Bread, Vegan
I saw Mario Batali make make a Smoked Salmon Pizza on The Chew, he cooked the pizza dough on a flat griddle then finished it in the oven. So smart, it's an Indian flat bread but finished like a pizza.
I've learned so much from Mario Batali over the years. I read his cookbook like novels and have worn out about a 1/2 dozen pairs of orange clogs in the kitchen.
Caramelized Onion and Brussel Sprout Flat Bread
Tools-Two burner flat griddle
Pizza Dough (recipe following)
Caramelized Onions (iron skillet on low with sliced onions, salt and olive oil. Saute, stirring often until golden.)
Fresh Thyme, stems removed
Whole Grain Mustard
Brussel Sprout Leaves
Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, shelf on top rack
Turn griddle on medium high
- Roll out your dough as thin as possible in the same shape of the griddle.
- Make sure the griddle is hot, no oil needed.
- Carefully place on griddle, cook about 1 minute, until the bottom is golden with dark toasty marks.
- Flip over to cook the other side.
- Place on ½ sheet pan, spread with whole grain mustard, pastry brush works great.
- Next with a nice layer of caramelized onions and fresh thyme leaves.
- Top with brussel sprout leaves (cut off the bottom of the sprouts and remove the leaves carefully)
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- On top shelf of oven bake 8-10 minutes, until the brussel sprout leaves start to char.
- Perfect right out of the oven but also delicious at room temperature. Makes great hors d’oeuvres for your next party, just cut into small 3 inch square pieces.
|roll out 1/4th of the dough as thin as possible|
|grill on both sides|
|grilled flat bread|
|whole grain mustard|
|brussel sprout leaves, fresh thyme, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper|