This is not your mother’s potato salad! I boosted up the flavor with this wonderfuldressing made with blended grilled poblano peppers and jalapeno. It has great heat which balances nicely with the vegan mayo and lime.
I used fingerling potatoes, an heirloom potato with a creamy buttery flavor and thin skin. Their shape is narrow, long and finger shaped and they hold up in roasting and grilling without falling apart. Today, I've used Banana, Purple Peruvian and French Red. I bought these at my favorite farm stand in Sellersville called, Suelke’s Road Stand! -This place rules!
Grilled Poblano Potato Salad (vegan)
Makes about 2.5 quarts
Grill pan or outside grill
Canola Oil For Grilling
- 5 Cups Fingerling potatoes, Cut In Half and Boiled Until Tender
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Poblano Peppers
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 Lime Zest and Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Agave
- 1 Cup Vegenaise Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 3 Stalks Celery, Chopped ¼ Inch Dice
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- ½ Red Onion, ¼ Inch Dice
- 3 Scallions, Sliced on the bias
- Preheat grille pan to medium high heat. Brush fingerlings and all three types of peppers with canola oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and grill on all sides.
- Place peppers in bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, cool ten minutes.
- Let grilled potatoes cool on a sheet pan, set aside. With your hand or a paring knife carefully remove the charred skin off of the peppers, don’t worry about removing all the skin -you don’t want the dressing to look muddy. ( I always wear gloves when working with hot peppers.)
- Seed and ¼ inch dice red bell pepper and set aside.
- In blender add poblanos and jalapeno with stems and seeds removed, lime zest and juice, vinegar and agave, blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl add Vegenaise, blended poblano mixture, salt and pepper mix with whisk until smooth. Add bell peppers, celery, cilantro, red onion, scallions and fingerling potatoes, with a spatula carefully fold everything together until incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Always check for seasoning before serving.