Summer Mixed Berry Pudding (vegan)
Summer berry pudding is a British dessert but became popular in the US in the early 20th century. Made from slices of day old bread and cooked summer fruit, layered in a deep bowl and left to soak overnight in the refrigerator. This can be made in a large bowl and sliced as you would cake or in individual size portions. Serve with fresh berries and ice cream. I had this on the menu at the restaurant every summer for years, the Pom juice really gives it a nice complex sweet but tart flavor.
Summer Mixed Berry Pudding
- 1 Loaf Vegan Brioche Bread, sliced into ½ inch thick slices or any white sandwich bread Vegan Brioche Recipe!
- 1 pound Fresh Strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in quarters
- 1 pint Fresh Blueberries, washed
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Lemon, zest and Juice
- 1 (8oz) bottle Pom Juice
Ice Cream of your choice I used vanilla made with coconut milk
- Remove crusts off bread and lay out on counter to let the bread dry out a bit.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan add strawberries, blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and Pom juice. Simmer on low until the blueberries and strawberries breakdown and juice thickens into a syrup, about 20 minutes.
- Line a large bowl or a springform pan with plastic wrap, leaving an extra few inches longer than the bowl -this helps with unmolding later.
- Starting with berry mixture ladle an even layer in the bottom of the mold then top with a single layer of bread, continuing layering with berry mixture and bread finishing with berry mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and press down gently. Top with a plate smaller than rim of the bowl and then top with a large soup can or bowl to press down the pudding. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to serve remove top piece of plastic wrap and flip over onto serving platter. Pulling on plastic wrap to help remove the pudding from bowl. Top with fresh berries and mint. Slice as you would a cake with a serrated knife and serve with ice cream of your choice.
Tip- Any summer berries in any combinations would work with this recipe.
Tip- Teacups make the perfect molds for individual sized puddings.
Here's How I did it!
|Cook berries, sugar, Pom juice, lemon and zest until fruit has broken down and sauce is a nice syrup.|
|Layer berry mixture and bread in bowl.|
|Finish the layers with berry mixture.|
|Cover with plastic wrap, plate then can.|
|Serve with ice cream of your choice!|