Orange and Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting, Vegan
I love orange and chocolate together, it all started with those chocolate oranges you can get around the holidays, my Grandmother would candy orange rinds and dip them in chocolate for Christmas, YUM. (I need to do that this year) Dark chocolate and orange together is pure perfection it's that simple!
These cupcakes are perfect for Halloween and are so easy to make, maybe 5 minutes tops for making the batter, 20 minutes baking time… Faster than a box cake and you can pronounce all the ingredients.
I used to make a lot of vegan cakes at the restaurant for birthdays or parties and I always loved adding spider rings as decoration around Halloween. This is the holiday for over the top decorating so have fun with it.
These are perfect for a kids’ party, no nuts, eggs or dairy. I used to make a version of these for my nephew Ian’s class Halloween party because some of the kids had dairy and egg allergies. It made me feel good to have something special for them too.
Chocolate and Orange Cupcakes
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 6 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar (I use organic)
- 1 Orange, Zest
- ½ Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (I use Tropical Source)
Pre Heat oven to 350 Degrees
- In large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir in sugar and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add orange zest and juice, water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla, stir.
- Pour over dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and fold into batter.
- Line a standard size muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill just above 2/3rds of the way. I use a #20 kitchen scoop which makes it super easy.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and the cakes springs back to the touch.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans and then transfer to a wire rack. Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled before icing them.
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- ½ Cup Earth Balance Stick Butter, Room Temperature
- ½ Container (4 oz) Tofutti Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- ½ tbsp. Juice of an Orange
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3 Cup Confectioners Sugar ( I use organic)
- In a large bowl cream together butter and Tofutti cream cheese.
- Add orange zest, juice and vanilla, blend until combined. Sift confectioners sugar over bowl and whip until fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
|Sift Dry Ingredients|
|Mix all Wet Ingredients Together|
|Fold in Chocolate Chips|
|Bake 20 to 25 minutes|