Bruised Kale Salad with Orange and Pomegranate in Orange Maple Mustard Dressing
Happy New Year!!!
The new year starts with all good intentions of eating healthy, organizing your closets and exercising… I can’t help you with your closet but I can give you a fantastic recipe for a flavorful, healthy delicious kale, orange and pomegranate salad in a super easy orange maple dressing. It has the indulgence of December but won’t mess up your New Year’s resolutions.
All the ingredients for this salad I got in my Door to Door Tristate box order. And helps me stay on the right track for eating healthy! Here’s some info from my last blog!
I’ve been ordering from Door to Door Organics for years and during the holidays having one less stop on the way home from work makes my life a lot easier especially with a baby. I’m very particular with my produce, having to check in produce for over 10 years at the restaurant. I must say I’ve never gotten anything in my Door to Door Organics Tri-State box that was not seasonal, beautiful and fresh. AND I’m so excited to let you know Door to Door Organics Tri-State is giving my readers a $10.00 off coupon code on your order!!! The COUPON CODE IS, AMERIVEG1415T How great is that!!!!!!!!!!
Here’s how it works-
- Order the size box you want, there are four sizes (I normally order small).
- Choose all veggies or all fruit or a combination of veggies and fruit (I’ve done just veggies and combo boxes).
- Choose how often you want your delivery.
- Type in your address and you get your delivery date.
- A few days before your delivery date you can check your box and then you can swap out up to five things.
Here’s a sample of my last order.
(2) Braeburn Apples
(2) Gala Apples
(1) Carrots 1lb
(2) Navel Oranges
(2) Bosc Pears
(1) Carrots 1lb
(1) Green Kale
(1) Yellow Onion
(1) Acorn Squash
(1) Butternut Squash, small (Local) - $3.99
(1) Organic Canned Cannellini Beans - $2.49
(1) Fennel Bulb - $3.49
That’s it! I then after taking a look at the order I look to see what other things are on special and plan my menus. They have a huge pantry section so I order what I need and because you can focus when you’re ordering I feel like I don’t over buy. I choose to have my order delivered to my work so I can put it in the fridge but you can request them to put the order in a cooler. As you know I’m a huge fan of their philosophy of eating good food seasonally from local farms and businesses.
Bruised Kale Salad with Orange and Pomegranate in Orange Maple Maple Dressing
Kale is so popular right now and this makes me so happy. I’ve been a huge fan since I started to grow it in my garden years and years ago. I’ve sauteed it as a side dish with some red pepper flake and salt but I’ve been seeing these kale salads all over the place and wanted to give it a try. First thing I learned, cut the kale in a very thin chiffonade and massage the chopped kale leaves with some sort of acid before continuing with the recipe or you’re going to be giving your jaw a good workout, it’s tough to eat. Well, it’s not edible and I’m not ashamed to admit it. Second thing, you can make this salad the day before dressed and all. The extra time really makes the chopped kale tender.
- 1 Bunch Of Kale
- ½ Whole Lemon, Juice
- 2 Whole Oranges, Zest Of 1 And Supreme Both
- 2 Whole Pomegranates, Seeds Removed
- ½ Cup Sunflower Seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Pepper To Taste
- Orange Maple Dressing
- Remove the stems from the leaves of kale and roll kale up like a cigar and slice into ½ inch strips this technique is called chiffonade. Put chopped kale in large bowl and pour juice of ½ a lemon over and massage kale with your hands for at least 5 minutes. This starts to break down the kale to make it tender.
- Add orange supremes, pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds(optional), salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add orange maple dressing, toss until combined and all kale leaves are coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*If making the day ahead add sunflower seed just before serving so they stay crunchy.
Orange Maple Dressing
- 1 tsp. Orange Zest
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together all ingredients together except oils. While whisking slowly drizzle in both oils until combined and thickened. Check for seasoning.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Here's how I did it!
|Remove stems and roll kale leaves into a cigar shape and cut into 1/2 inch strips.|
|Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, massage for at least five minutes.|
|Chopped kale will be come dark in color.|
Slice the pomegranate in 1/2 and break apart to easily remove the seeds.
|Slice the out peel off the oranges and then follow along the membrane with knife to cut out orange segments. (Photo from another recipe...forgot to take a picture of the oranges)|