I had a small party for Dan’s 40th birthday last Saturday and it’s always strange to me what people comment on… Hummus, basic hummus. Everyone loved it and wanted to know how to make it. So I thought I would share my basic, perfect hummus recipe. Tons of flavor and totally addictive. I always have a batch in the refrigerator, Henry loves hummus.
Hummus, I’ve made so much in my life! We served roasted red pepper hummus at the restaurant for years and we would make 8 quarts at a time. This recipe of basic hummus brings together all the tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years. Sometimes making the simplest seaming recipes are the most complicated. -There’s a lot of bad hummus recipes out there! I broke down each tiny step to add the most flavor and to maximize creaminess.
HollyHappy Birthday Dan!!
American Vegetarian has been nominated for best blog in Bucks County!! Please take a second and vote for me. Thank you in advance!!!!
- ⅓ Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Cup Water
- ⅔ Cup Tahini
- 2 (15.5 oz ) Cans Chickpeas, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. Toasted Cumin (Very Important! Place cumin in dry pan and toast on medium heat until darkened and fragrant, stirring often)
- ½ tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In the base of a food processor add lemon juice, zest, garlic, water and tahini, pulse until combined.
- Scrape sides, add chickpeas, spices and salt.
- Blend, stopping to scrape down the sides often. Blend until creamy, about 4 minutes. While the processor is on drizzle in olive oil.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.