Roasted Tomato Soup
Part sheet pan recipe, part slow cooker recipe = amazing roasted tomato soup recipe that is as easy as it is delicious. Roasting vegetables in the oven beforehand brings out their natural sweetness and intensifies their flavor, it brings a punch to those winter plum tomatoes. Using a slow cooker makes this a simple dump recipe, just give a stir once in a while. Your house will smell amazing! This soup can be finished with cashew cream, coconut cream or evaporated milk, the choice is yours and they are all good. Plus it freezes wonderfully and rewarms perfectly.
Roasted Tomato Soup
8 Plum Tomatoes, Cut In Half Long Ways
1 Medium White Onion, Peeled And Cut In Chunks
4 Cloves Of Garlic, Peeled
2 Stalks Of Celery, Chopped in 2 Inch Pieces
2 Carrots, Peeled And Cut In 2 Inch Pieces
3 - 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
Pepper To Taste
2 (1 lb.) Cans San Marzano Peeled Whole Tomatoes
4 Cups Veggie Stock
1 Bay Leaf
1 (12oz.) Can Evaporated Milk, 1 Cup Coconut Cream* or 1 Cup Cashew Cream*
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a single layer on a sheet pan add prepped tomatoes, onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Pour over olive oil and lightly toss and turn tomatoes cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven until veggies are caramelized, soft with dark crisp tips, about 30 minutes. If the plum tomatoes are on the larger side they may need more time, just remove the cooked veggies that are ready and finish in the oven. The longer the tomatoes roast the more intense the flavor is.
- While the veggies are roasting in the oven set up 4-quart slow cooker. Add canned tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Turn on medium.
- Add roasted veggies. Cook in a slow cooker covered until ready to eat (at least 2 hours) but the longer it cooks the better the flavor. I keep it on all day, your house will smell amazing!
- Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in evaporated milk or cream of choice. Taste for seasoning. Turn to warm.
*Coconut cream - place canned coconut milk in the refrigerator until the cream hardens on top. Scoop out all that yummy coconut cream.
*Cashew cream - ½ cup of raw cashews soaked in water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and blend with ¼ cup water and a pinch of salt.
|Layer vegetables on a sheet pan so they roast evenly.|
|Use San Marzano Tomatoes for the best flavor.|
|These roasted plum tomatoes have so much flavor!|
|Tomato soup in the slow cooker!|